I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why Two MacBooks?

Seems that Apple doesn't want to stop making MacBooks...

Let's take a look at the history of it all. First off, the MacBook Pro was born. Pretty cool - built-in iSight, MagSafe, same old (but awesome) aluminum, great! Next, the nice white MacBook we have known for about almost three and a half years at the time of the writing of this post. Then, earlier this year, the MacBook Air was born as a very thin version of the MacBook Pro. Now the original MacBook Pro is dead, replaced by a new one, and MacBook has a brother!

I don't get this - I think Apple should just phase out the white version and keep the new aluminum one, and charge US$1099 for it again! I mean, isn't it faster and cheaper to produce the new aluminum MacBooks? Or is Apple trying to sell all of its remaining white MacBooks to ease the move to the new one?

1 comments:

Josh said...

Seems to me that Apple is trying to expand its high-end line of MacBooks while also trying to compete at a lower price point. At $300 cheaper than the aluminum MacBook, the white MacBook could be considered an entry-level notebook. Makes sense to me.