Intrepid Ibex (8.10) is coming this October and here are some things that should be brushed up, especially for new users:
- Screen resolution and desktop effects are really hard to configure out-of-the-box with NVIDIA and ATI hardware.
- In package management, the names "universe", "multiverse", etc. should be replaced with something more understandable, like "free with source, proprietary, etc"
- It would be nice if it were more obvious on how to install themes, because the first thought is to extract the (usually) .tar.gz compression.
- Please, more support for networking devices!
- Make sound configuration easier and better support for some speakers that might otherwise reproduce very very soft sound. Forget alsa, pulseaudio, and all those names that don't make sense; make it simple.
- Imitate GoboLinux and Mac OS X filesystem-wise.
- Better built-in documentation would be greatly appreciated by new users.
I'd like to see how well Ubuntu would do on a Mojave Experiment test. That would bring more results as to what needs to be reworked.
See also here.