I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Installing Ubuntu Packages Offline


Here's a neat feature of Synaptic that allows you to download packages without having Ubuntu connected to the internet.

Go to File > Generate Package Download Script
I saved the file as a shell script (.sh extension) and moved the file over to my Mac, which had an internet connection. I googled and downloaded a version of wget for OS X, copied it to /usr/bin and smoothly ran the package download script.

Then, I transferred the downloaded packages to my pen drive and dropped them off on my Ubuntu computer. I installed the packages, and now I have all the extra software I wanted installed without ever having needed to connect Ubuntu to the internet.

(Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron", original release)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank's !