I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Not-So-Interesting OS X Discoveries

What if I told you that OS X has a new Dock bug, [ED: and] that you just deleted TextEdit, or that OS X and Linux are closer than you might think

Let's go step by step. I apparently tried to drag an application off the dock while dragging a file onto another application at the same time (the computer slowed down and I went on doing it anyway before the action was performed). Here's the turnout:
 Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us 
Now, what would you do if you had accidentally deleted TextEdit and didn't feel like getting out your install disk because you'll be wiping your system anyway in a few days? Xcode is the answer! It works fine as a rich text editor (and a plain text editor, I'm also assuming).


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
And now, what would you think if I told you that the Un*x base isn't one of the few things OS X and Linux share. In other words, CUPS? This was a surprise for me. I had known the Common Unix Printing System [ED: buggily] on Ubuntu for a while, but I didn't know OS X had also implemented it at all (and in a MUCH more stable fashion, I might add)! Found it under a security update. Apple maintains CUPS.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apple only bought CUPS in 2007-02. They've been using it in OS X since 2002.