I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mac OS X Dock on Top of the Screen



Have you ever wanted your Dock on top of the screen? It's pretty simple to do it in 3 simple steps.

  1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities)
  2. Type in defaults write com.apple.Dock orientation top
  3. Type in killall Dock


Note: this might not work with Leopard.

5 comments:

Dave said...

So, wouldn't you think Macs would be more advanced then that.

If I wanted the dock at the top of the screen, shouldn't I just be able to drag it to the top of the screen?

Anonymous said...

There's an easy way to set it to left, right, or bottom, but Apple apparently decided not to give the 'top' option in the GUI.

MacTipper said...

I've been looking around the 'net and I haven't had any luck with these commands. Have you tested this/gotten it to work in Leopard? The exact command I'm running is:

defaults write com.apple.Dock orientation top; killall Dock

Thanks
MacTipper
My Mac-Tipping Blog

mykis said...

iam using os 10.5.6 and its not working :)

Patrick Braga said...

@mykis

It doesn't work on Leopard.