I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Loving Cocoa

Don't believe the lies! Cocoa is super easy! As long as you understand object-oriented philosophy (see, like, 4 or so posts ago) and have a basic knowledge of Objective-C, you're ready to go. A fellow Freenode.net IRC user by the nickname "Beelsebob" showed me how easy Cocoa really is - don't bother trying to assimilate Apple's documentation all at once. Read the documentation as you go. If you know how to connect objects in Interface Builder, read the docs for NSTextField, for example, when you need it, etc.

Today, without any tutorials, I was able to write a calculator, a utility that checks whether or not it's your birthday, and a temperature converter.

0 comments: