I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Saturday, October 6, 2007

JavaNotes: The Best Java Textbook

I've recently come across JavaNotes, the best free Java textbook yet. It assumes you know some basic programming topics, but the first chapter is an in-depth tour of just how computers work and I finally learned how more RAM speeds up the computer.

What really surprised and disappointed me about Java, which I learned from both this textbook and various other online sources, is that for command-line programs (which is what most beginners to Java, like me, will be using), there is no built-in support for a user's input. As the author of JavaNotes describes it, they did this for "some unfathomable reason." He (thankfully) wrote a little Java program called "TextIO.java" (you can find it in the textbook in chapter 2, I believe) which basically provides various input/output functions, somewhat imitating C's #include and C++ #include.

Well, try out JavaNotes if you want to learn Java.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

'No built-in console input'? Since Java 5 (4 years ago?), the Scanner class does everything you need. Any textbook that doesn't use it is antiquated if you ask me.