I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Monday, September 3, 2007

Wubi: The Easy Way to Linux


Linux (Ubuntu specifically) is starting to become popular, but some people aren't sure whether or not they should install it. Here are two scenarios.
  1. So they go try to use a live CD and end up burning the ISO file to the CD instead of the image itself and gives up.
  2. The person is finally able to boot from the live CD and is playing around with Ubuntu. In his opinion, it's better than the old OS he had on his machine, but still wants to keep the old one for work reasons. Everything in the installer is going fine, but he has no idea what the partitioning is, so he accidentally wipes his entire HD.
That's where Wubi comes in. Wubi is a 20-something MB download that downloads and installs Ubuntu for you with no partitioning. Just a bootable virtual machine on your hard drive. I installed it on my old HP Pavilion and it works perfectly (it
's so old that Windows XP Home Edition, pre-SP1 calls itself Windows Whistler Personal :P). 
I give Wubi 5 apples of 5 for its ease of use and ease of installation. 

1 comments:

sheng said...

indeed, it is starting to become popular.