I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Sunday, September 2, 2007

RealBASIC 2007R3 Review


RealBASIC 2007R3 is by far the best development tool I've seen out there (yes, even better than Xcode). Why do I say that? For a simple reason: it's cross-platform. On my MacBook I created a simple history quiz in about 20 minutes with a Visual Basic-like language that ran on my Mac and my PC running Windows XP and Ubuntu Feisty.

One problem with this easy cross-platform IDE is that you have to be careful about designing your interface. My program's interface worked fine with OS X Tiger and XP, but with Ubuntu, things got a little weird. Some lines were too long, cutting out part of the text, and the "Submit" button I put was halfway cut (you can download this quiz, by the way at http://code.google.com/p/studyquiz )

System requirements aren't too bad. Windows 2000/OS X Panther or later, 1 GHz processor/ 1 Gig of RAM. Compiled apps run on systems as old as Windows 98. The pricing of the product, however, is pretty high. For standard, you can pay $99. If you want your apps to be cross-platform, $500 is the price you pay. You can by RealBASIC at realsoftware.com/store.

I give RealBASIC 4.5 apples out of 5, losing an apple for a ridiculously high price.

1 comments:

RB said...

Re the price, if you don't need professional features other than cross-platform compilation, you can achieve cross-platform less expensively. Just buy the $99 basic version for OS X, plus the $99 basic version for Windows, and use the $0 basic version for Linux. Assuming you have access to all three OS's, you can then just move your RB project file from one OS to the next and compile on each platform. This isn't such a bad thing, actually, since as you discovered you'll most likely need/want to do some OS-specific tweaking anyway.