I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Friday, June 1, 2007

Today's OS: ReactOS


I almost stumbled apon naming this entry "Today's Linux: ReactOS," but it's really not. The truth is that ReactOS is an OS in itself, with its own kernel and everything! (I haven't seen many non-Linux free OS's on the web)Now, if you see ReactOS's screenshot, it looks almost exactly like Windows 9.x! The grey start menu, the blue windows, with the grey x, [], and _ buttons at the top all make it Win9.x-like! What about the DOS prompt? And... is that FireFox being installed (you have to go to their website to see those last 2 screenshots)? It all surprised me, too, but ReactOS is built with WiNE on the base. This was really smart of the developers - now you can run Windows apps without running Windows!
...ReactOS is ... more than just a ... Windows-Clone...ReactOS takes the ... code a step further by stripping it down to the bare minimum – leaving a kernel that is ... fast, light, clean, and powerful ...

I still haven't had the time to test out the LiveCD version of ReactOS, but I will try it as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Computer Guru said...

ReactOS isn't a *nix operating system. It uses its own kernel, not Linux's.

The Unix Geek said...

Computer Guru: Ok. Thank you. I thought it was Unix because of the "bin" folder.

I'll make a correction on that. Again, thanks.