I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Thursday, May 31, 2007

****-Oriented Programming

Ok. Recently I abandoned C for C++ because at the library, searching for a book about C programming, the only book I saw was "Practical C++ Programming", by Steve Oualline, published by O'Reilly publishers. It is a very good book, and I reccomend it to anyone who wants to learn C++, but that's not the point. While reading the beginning of the book, I saw that C++ is what's called an object-oriented programming language. I had heard about object-oriented programming for quite some time but didn't bother to look up what it means. Today, out of curiosity, with my trusty friend Google, I found that the opposite of an OOPL is what is called a function-oriented programming language , or a procedural programming language. So I got even more curious. What are the differences between these?

An OOPL is made up of objects, while a FOPL is made out of functions and procedures. With OOPL's objects you can define
the abstract characteristics of a thing (object), including the thing's characteristics (its attributes, fields or properties) and the things it can do (its behaviors or methods or features).
Now, what about FOPLs? With FOPLs, you have certain functions scrambled all over the program, and you can skip around from one to the other and things like that. If you've ever used the GOTO command, you know what- I'm talking about. Since I still don't know how to use classes in C++ (I'm still on chapter 9 of 30), I use the GOTO function every now and then.... reminds me of my old QBASIC days.....


3 comments:

Dianne said...

dude, was looking on the second post supposed to help me understand anything? Well incase your wondering, i still have no clue what this is about. Oh well, good posts, or if i knew what they meant they would be.

Happy Summer, Miss you,
Dianne Super K**WONGS

Sarah-girl said...

^^^ whatever she said.

hoelzro said...

You should probably just change your usage of the term "function-oriented programming" to "procedural programming" so people don't confuse it with functional programming...you might make some Haskellers angry. =D