I have moved my blog to Wordpress at theunixgeek.wordpress.com. I will still be checking back periodically on this one as well, though. 19 April 2009

featured

Merging Mkdir and Cd | 280 Slides Interview | I Switched to KDE 4

clickable portals

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Installing Software on Linux

While working with Ubuntu Linux in an emulator (http://www.ubuntu.com), I felt an urge to install Google Earth and Flash Player 9 on it. But when I used to have an Ubuntu PC, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to install. After perusing through some readme's, I finally discovered it.

If you download Google Earth for Linux, you'll see it's in a .bin file. To install the .bin file, I go into the terminal and type

cd ~/Desktop
sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin


and just wait for the process to work its magic. In case you don't know many UN*X commands, cd means change directory, or folder, and sh executes a script.

Now, for Flash player, it's a little different. After downloading and extracting the .tar.gz file,

cd ~/Desktop/flash_player_9_linux
./flash-installer


and just answer the questions. This is what happens with most .tar.gz files.

Although I thought installing Linux software would be hard to do, today I learned otherwise, and (hopefully), so did you!

1 comments:

Rocinante said...

PVTeekGeek

That was... interesting. I'll be sure to remember that if I ever manage to get ubuntu installed on my pc.

Could you research how to make shell scripts into commands that have objects (an example: cd OBJECT)?
Thanks, see u in meatspace
Rocinante